Census Day is Coming
Why completing the census is important to Roseville?
The census is critical for a better understanding of our community. The data collected will be used for:
- Representation: Census data determines the number of seats each state has in the U.S. House of Representatives, as well as districts for state government. Minnesota is at risk of losing a seat in Congress.
- Funding: Census data guides federal spending allocation of approximately $884 billion to local communities every year. For each person not counted in Roseville, about $2,800 in federal funding is lost each year.
- Planning: Census data helps federal, state and local governments plan transportation, schools, hospitals, senior centers, emergency services and other needs to best serve changing demographics.
- Businesses: Census data assists businesses in investing in the community including locating businesses, factories and stores, recruiting employees and conducting market research.
The next census will be conducted in early 2020. Residents will be able to complete the census online or over the telephone.
|On or Between||You Will Receive|
|March 12-20, 2020||An invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census|
|March 16-24, 2020||A reminder postcard|
|If you haven’t responded|
|March 26-April 3, 2020||A reminder postcard|
|April 8-16, 2020||A reminder letter and paper questionnaire|
|April 20-27, 2020||A final reminder postcard|
|After April 27, 2020||Census workers visit homes where a person has not responded|
MN 2020 Census Videos
Watch and learn about the 2020 Census.
Census 101: Get Your Civics On!
Why should I fill out the Census? What good will it do me or my community? Answers here.
Census 102: Confidentiality in Our Bones
The nuts and bolts of the Census. How it’s done and what information is used.
Get ready for Census Day 2020.
Minnesota Could Be a Big Loser in 2020
Minnesota is on the verge of losing Representation in the US Congress.
How to get involved?
The City of Roseville is collaborating with Ramsey County and neighboring communities with its Complete Count Committee. The purpose of the committee is to work together to reach a complete count of all residents. Diverse representatives from local governments, community organizations, individuals, faith-based groups, education, media and the local business community are working together to make sure everyone will be counted.
Anyone with an interest in helping raise awareness about the census is encouraged to join the Ramsey County Complete Count Committee.
Volunteer Opportunities in Roseville
Roseville will offers several opportunities for you to get involved with the 2020 Census. We are looking for volunteers who can talk with residents about the census and answer any concerns about completing the census.
Volunteers can help build relationships in communities that are traditionally under-reported. Bilingual volunteers are particularly needed to reach residents who are new to the country or just learning English. Training will be provided.
Volunteers will explain:
- How completing the census impacts a person’s life;
- That it is relatively quick and easy to complete;
- That assistance is available if you have language barriers, limited access to the internet or other concerns that make it difficult to complete the census form;
- That personal information provided on the census remains confidential. Individual information will not be shared with any other branch of the government other than the Census Bureau.
- Volunteers can host events, talk with friends and neighbors, and attend local events to help answer census questions.
Lastly, residents can commit to completing the census when it arrives at their home.
To learn more about volunteer opportunities, contact Volunteer Coordinator Rachel Boggs at 651-792-7028 or Rachel.Boggs@cityofroseville.com.
Work for the U.S. Census Bureau
The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring for a variety of positions to help with the 2020 Census. To be eligible, you must be a U.S. citizen, be at least 18 years old and have a valid Social Security number.
To learn more or apply, visit the 2020 Census jobs webpage.